2022 - 2023 Band Camp - Please read ALL information carefully
- Freshmen and new SV band students should report to the band room at 8:00 AM on Thursday, July 28th and Friday, July 29th.
- Parents are welcome to join us on Thursday at 8:00 AM in the band room for introductions to the staff and announcements!
- Full band camp will begin on Monday, August 1st. Remember, "To be early is to be on time, and to be on time is to be late."
- Please bring a healthy lunch each day or make arrangements to get lunch. Lunch break is from 11:30-1:00.
- We will finish at 5:00 each day. Make sure your ride is here to pick you up by 5:15.
- ALL students should refer to the web site for all dates and times, as well as printing off important forms to hand in on the first day.
- Medical Forms, Band Policy Forms, and any payments can be made prior to the beginning of rehearsals. Medications can only be administered to students if the Medical Form for 2022-23 has been turned in. We need this year's form from ALL students - new and returning students.
- Do remember that Viking Band (marching band) is a graded "late bird" class for which an elective credit is given. Attendance will be taken daily. If you miss a day you will need to submit a parent or doctor's note for an excused absence, just like you would for a missed school day. If you must miss a day of practice or a scheduled event, and know about it in advance, please let Mr. McGee know ASAP.
- Prior to band camp please make sure to practice your instrument and have it ready to play for camp. Work on the National Anthem, the SV Alma Mater, the SV Fight Song, and any other music you may have received at the Spring Camp if you attended.
A special message from our student leaders:
We are very excited to have you with us for this new season of the Spring Valley High School Viking Marching Band. We are looking forward to you all helping us to continue our growth and success as a band program.
Here are some things to remember:
- Be sure to eat a good breakfast each day. Avoid milk and dairy products, as it could make you sick while outside in the sun.
- Get enough sleep to sustain yourselves throughout band camp.
- You should drink plenty of water throughout the evenings at home as well as during band camp. When in doubt, drink water!
Things to bring/do:
- Instrument (in working condition), music, pencils, extra reeds, valve oil and cork grease, flip folder with lyre, etc.
- Sunscreen, towel (we will be on the ground often), a hat, sunglasses, and chapstick.
- A water bottle, preferably something that is half gallon sized or larger.
- Proper clothing (athletic shirts, gym shorts, proper shoes - make sure they are supportive athletic shoes, and that you don't mind getting them dirty), and two pairs of socks. It is a great idea to bring a change of clothes each day.
- Eat well! Fruits and veggies can go a long way! Breakfast suggestions include toast with peanut butter, fresh fruit, chicken biscuit, scrambled eggs with meat, or granola - basically carbohydrates and protein.
- Any needed prescription medications or inhalers. These should only be taken/used under adult supervision at the first aid tent.
Things NOT to bring or do:
- NO long clothing (jeans, long sleeves, etc.)
- NO flip flops, open toed shoes, high-tops, or boots. You need a supportive shoe that is well worn-in!
- NO milk/dairy products in the morning unless you wish to see your breakfast again! And this includes NO milk with your cereal! Breakfast suggestions include toast with peanut butter, fresh fruit, chicken biscuit, scrambled eggs with meat, or granola - basically carbohydrates and protein. (This will help keep you out of the first aid tent.)
What will be going on during band camp?
- In the morning we will usually be outside from 8:00-11:30, during this time we will be outside, drilling, learning marching technique, and towards the middle of band camp we will be put our show on the field.
- After a lunch break from 11:30-1:00, we will be inside from 1:00-6:00pm working on music and making sure we get our show as clean as possible. During this time the Color Guard will continue to practice inside the band room or out on the field.
- During band camp, we will be having different theme days. Your section leader will inform you of the Spirit Days when they are announced.
We look forward to seeing you and a great marching season!
Director of Bands