2018 - 2019 Band Camp - Please read ALL information carefully...
- Freshmen and new SV band students should report to the band room ready to rehearse at 8:00 AM on Thursday, August 2nd and Friday, August 3rd. Full band camp will begin on Monday, August 5th. Remember, as Mr. Allison always says, "To be early is to be on time, and to be on time is to be late."
- Please bring a healthy lunch. Lunch break is from 11:30-1:00.
- We will finish at 6:00 each day. Make sure your ride is here to pick you up by 6:10.
- ALL students should refer to the web site for all dates and times, as well as printing off important forms to hand in on the first day.
- Medical Forms, Band Policy Forms, and any payments can be made on Thursday 8/2 prior to the beginning of rehearsals. Medications can only be administered to students if the notarized Medical Form for 2018-19 has been turned in. We need this year's form from ALL students - new and returning students.
- Do remember that Viking Band (marching band) is a graded "late bird" class for which an elective credit is given. Attendance will be taken daily. If you miss a day you will need to submit a parent or doctor's note for an excused absence, just like you would for a missed school day. If you must miss a day of practice or a scheduled event, and know about it in advance, please let Mr. Allison know ASAP.
- Prior to band camp please try your best to memorize the National Anthem, the SV Alma Mater, and the SV Fight Song if you received these at Spring Band Camp. Also, please try to practice the show music if you received this from your band director before the end of the school year. If you did not yet receive the show music, it will be given out on the first day of Band Camp.
A special message from our student leaders:
We are very excited to have you with us for this new season of the Spring Valley High School Viking Marching Band. We are looking forward to you all helping us to continue our growth and success as a band program.
Here are some things to remember:
- Rookie Camp begins August 2, 2018 at 8:00 am for two days; each day will last until 5:00 pm.
- Rookies are encouraged to bring not only proper supplies, but an enthusiastic attitude as well.
- Full Band Camp begins August 5, 2018 from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm.
- Be sure to eat a good breakfast EVERY DAY. Try to avoid milk and dairy products, as it could make you sick while we are outside.
- Get enough sleep to sustain yourselves throughout band camp.
- You should drink plenty of water throughout the evenings at home as well as during band camp. When in doubt, drink water!
Things to bring/do:
- Instrument (in working condition), music, pencils, extra reeds, valve oil and cork grease, flip folder with lyre, etc.
- Sunscreen, towel (we will be on the ground often), a hat, sunglasses, and Chapstick.
- A water bottle, preferably something that is half gallon sized or larger.
- Proper clothing (athletic shirts, gym shorts, proper shoes - make sure they are supportive athletic shoes, and that you don't mind getting them dirty), and two pairs of socks. It is a great idea to bring a change of clothes each day. Just ask our veterans about getting caught in a rain storm during rookie camp. Remember - modesty goes a long way - no spaghetti strap tank tops or muscle tank shirts.
- Eat well! Fruits and veggies can go a long way! Breakfast suggestions include toast with peanut butter, fresh fruit, chicken biscuit, scrambled eggs with meat, or granola - basically carbohydrates and protein.
- Any needed prescription medications or inhalers. These should only be taken/used under adult supervision at the first aid tent.
Things NOT to bring or do:
- NO long clothing (jeans, long sleeves, etc.)
- NO flip flops, open toed shoes, high-tops, or boots. You need a supportive shoe that is well worn-in!
- NO milk/dairy products in the morning unless you wish to see your breakfast again! And this includes NO milk with your cereal! Breakfast suggestions include toast with peanut butter, fresh fruit, chicken biscuit, scrambled eggs with meat, or granola - basically carbohydrates and protein. (This will help keep you out of the first aid tent.)
What will be going on during band camp?
- In the morning we will usually be outside from 8:00-11:30, during this time we will be outside, drilling, learning marching technique, and towards the middle of band camp we will be put our show on the field.
- After a lunch break from 11:30-1:00, we will be inside from 1:00-6:00pm working on music and making sure we get our show as clean as possible. During this time the Color Guard will continue to practice inside the band room or out on the field.
- During band camp, we will be having different theme days. Your section leader will inform you of the Spirit Days when they are announced.
We look forward to seeing you for another great marching season!